True blue

Cyanotypes are now my one true blue weakness.

After struggling to find some affordable wall art for the hall, I rummaged in the old shed for my box of chemicals and set to work to create my own. Inspired by Anna Atkins, considered to be the first female photographer, I started a fresh collection of dried botanicals, mixed up the chemicals, coated the watercolour paper, placed on the composition and ‘cooked’ outside until they turned blue.

This summer was HOT, so there was plenty of UV to go around. My collection grew. Prints of giant alliums, ivy, cranesbill leaves, meadowflowers ... You name it. I’ve pressed it into service, as it were. I made so many, I decided to sell them. 

 

Yesterday, I signed up for my first arts & craft show, so if you’re anywhere near Dorridge on Saturday, November 20, drop by the village hall and say hello. I’ll be trading as BlueFernPrints. Wish me luck! 


Comments